About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Monday, January 25, 2010

My kid has a gift

Well...today is the Munchkin's appointment with his pediatrician to do his pre surgery physical. Ear tubes are being put in, for the second time, on Wednesday.
My son has a gift.
He gets ear infections.
Lots of ear infections.
As of today, we are on lucky number 21.
He's two. Do the math.
If I was playing a game of BlackJack, I would be thrilled.
We're not playing BlackJack.
The first ear infection was on December 4th, 2007. 103 degree fever at 2am with a new mom, a four month old, and a husband in Iraq quickly adds up to a frantic trip to the emergency room. I was terrified! Thus, I very clearly remember the date. It's one of those 'where were you when...' moments for me.
He's had 20 ear infections since then. Yup...20 more. Some with high fevers, some with drainage, some with lots of crying on everyone's part.
Tubes put in at 6 months, adenoids removed at 11 1/2 months. Allergists, ENT's, doctors, nurses, nutritionists, chiropractors. Thank goodness we have good insurance...
They slowed down, and I will say we had a six month stretch without a problem!
But the ear infections are baaaack with a vengence. To the point I have my own otoscope at home.
We are making strides though. We've dropped dairy, which has really helped with the snot that he is really good at collecting. So this last ear infection hasn't been as nasty as the one before.
By the way, rice milk tastes like watered down coffee creamer.
I'm tired of my kid being miserable.
I'm tired of checking his ears all the time.
I'm tired of my toddler being so used to having his ears checked that he asks 'do I have goop mom?' when I do. No toddler should ever lay perfectly still to have his ears checked and ask if they have goop.
I want them to stop...please.
But he did pee pee in the potty this weekend...even in public bathrooms. So maybe he's trading his talents...we can only hope!

No comments:

Popular Posts