About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dollar Deals

Today was the Big Yard Sale.
Since we no longer are Moving...we just called it a 'Come Get This Junk' Sale.
I advertised heavily on Craigslist.
Multiple times.
Had one ad flagged and removed by a woman, my guess is that it was her, because I wouldn't allow her to come preview it earlier in the week.
Uh huh.  Nope.
So we rolled out of bed at 6am, started dragging stuff out into the driveway.
At 7am, we had our first customers, even though we were not open until 8am.
The woman acted like I was WalMart.  She wanted blue sheets and a blue comforter.
Uh, yeah.
What we have out here, is what we have for sale.
She then asked if I had any green bath rugs.
Uh, yeah.  No.
I have yellow.
??????
Then she asked for a more manly looking comforter.
Really? What are we doing here?  It's a Yard Sale.  You see it out here, it's for sale.  Take your pick.
The first two hours were a mad house of pickers and grinners.
Some sweet little old ladies looking for a deal.
Some strange old men, alone, browsing.
A woman with short shorts, belly shirt and a pack of kids (it was about 40 degrees outside) that decimated my stuffed animals boxes, and then bought nothing.
Then 'Those People' showed up.
They've been to my Yard Sales before.  I recognized them right off the bat.
She is a 6 foot tall Amazon of a woman, with a cigarette and a cane.
He is about 5 feet tall, with a cigarette, braided beard, and a cane.
And they have five kids.
Last time they were here, they ran a racket and the kids were sneaking stuff to the car that they hadn't paid for.
This time I was ready.  I had The Husband cover them the whole time.
I got $20 out of them for a handful of stuff.
And Short Man with Beard kept adding everything wrong.
Five and Five are Ten.
Not Seven.
Funny how that works.
After they left, things slowed down and we counted our gain.  $160 in an hour and a half!
Whoot!
I thought for sure the Toddler's clothing and toys would go first.
Nope.  Didn't sell a bit of it.
We did sell all of my husband's fleece pullovers, coats and jackets.
All the video game stuff.
Comforter sets.
Sheets ( I would never in my life buy sheets or comforters at Yard Sales, but to each their own).
Towels (again a little personal)
Then the little old lady showed up that berated me for not advertising it in the paper.  She only read the paper.  Didn't 'know anything about no Craigslist'.  On and on and on and on and on about advertising in the paper.
I'll jump right on that...nope.
And last but not least, the old couple that bought a few little things, but kept saying how 'they weren't looking for no dollar deals'.
Ohkay.
Whatever you say.
I shut it down after that.
And we hauled the leftover to Goodwill.
And the Goodwill guys were a bit amused at our stack of stuff in the back of the truck.
Cause it was still a lot of stuff.
But $230 later, who cares?!
By the time we closed shop...we made $230!
Out of just stuff we dragged outside and set up a sign for.
This could get addicting.
And no one bought the big Mikasa bowl we got as a wedding gift, that I never took out of the box.
That I had $5 on.
Weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang, I would have taken that Mikasa bowl.

But really? Are the typical garage salers ever into Mikasa?

Just sayin'.

Popular Posts