About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

I feel like I should be doing something

I woke up to the feet of my Toddler in my face again. My fault. When The Husband is on drill, I just let him go to bed with me. We read stories, and talk...then he passes out cold, flips upside down, and snoozes the night away.

Except at 430a when he woke up to find himself in 'mommydaddybed' and didn't know how he had gotten there.

But anyway.

Unless you have been under a rock for the past 9 years, today is September 11th. The day that our world completely changed forever. We watched planes fly into our World Trade Center. We watched people die. We watched those Towers fall. We watched...

The day we were attacked on our soil.

The day our own people were used as weapons against us.

The day we became enraged and patriotic.

I'm not going to ramble about where I was that day (at work) or how I felt (pretty numb...I was on a lot of anti anxiety meds at the time) or memories (I called my mom screaming into the answering machine for her to WAKE UP...she worked nightshift...when she did answer the phone she asked 'are we under attack or something?' and I had to reply 'yes')

What I am going to ramble on is where we are now.

The rage and patriotism has went 'phhhhht'.

No one seems to remember that sudden rush of fear and anger that swept over us all. We don't remember 9/11. Its faded away from the American commentary.

Where are the American flags on cars now?

Where is that ball busting attitude that we were going to fight back?

Where is that ANGER people? Where is that RAGE that you dared to attack us?

We clearly don't remember why we were in Iraq and Afghanistan. Blah blah blah weapons of mass destruction...blah blah blah. That wasn't the only reason.

We don't remember standing in front of the televisions and watching our bombers do their job, and feeling a weird sense of 'take that'.

We don't say 'that just lets them win' when someone talks about not flying or travelling for fear. We just don't say that anymore.

We don't want that to happen again. The only way to not get stung, is to find the bees nest and get rid of it.

Or maybe that is just the Hillbilly sense in me talking.

Yeah, it was no fun to put my Husband on that plane and see him go off to war. It wasn't the best day of my life...not in a million years. Not even the top ten. But he had a job to do, and I wanted him to do that job so that my kid didn't have to do it again in twenty years.

I want the world to be a peaceful place for my son to grow up in, and prosper. Every generation has it's war...but now we're playing dirty. We can't walk past a person of Middle Eastern descent in the street without looking sideways at them. It's just our world now, and it's sad...and scary.

I just feel like I should be doing something today.

I did put our big American Flag out on the front porch.

But I feel like something more...I don't know what. Just something.

It's just one of those days that you can't forget in your heart, but the world has kept moving right along. Which is a good thing.

No comments:

Popular Posts