About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

It was a REALLY good weekend...

So we rolled out the pop up for another weekend getaway this past weekend.

The Husband had to work part of the weekend at his Armory, so we decided to make it an adventure and camp.

The Toddler and I rolled up on Friday after work. The Husband had already arrived ahead of time and had done all the grunt work...all we had to do was enjoy the evening.

We were camping in the Shenandoah Valley at a lovely quiet little campground that was out in the middle of nowhere...and I mean nowhere. Not REALLY Nowhere, they had a KFC, a Starbucks (The Toddler was not amused they did not sell chicken nuggets there) and a Sheetz ten miles down the road, but it was REALLY close to Nowhere...with small road signs. Really really small road signs. Really REALLY small road signs that are hard to read in the REALLY REALLY dark of night on a REALLY REALLY narrow dark country road, while some local has their bright lights on behind me and are cussing me because I am going so slow. I know, I have been that local before, and I want to say I AM REALLY SORRY TO EVERYONE I PUSHED WITH MY LIGHTS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT....MY BAD.

Now back to the story.

I managed to miss my turn, not once, but twice. The second time, as I muttered '*expletive* I missed it again' I hear a small voice behind me in the carseat say ' Oh nooooo...we are looooost'.

'Not really...just taking the tour baby!' I sing cheerfully, all the while trying to find a driveway or SOMETHING to turn around in, AGAIN. Cause I am getting REALLY pissed at this point, and wondering why I don't have a GPS like The Husband. Of course I cuss his on a regular basis too.

Made it to the campground...its dark. REALLY dark. The Husband meets me at the gate, thank goodness, and leads me up to our campsite. I mean UP to our campsite. I think my ears popped.

Manage to get moved in, Toddler settled in, and sit back for a while...with no TV, because I forgot to stop and pick up the cable. Oh well. We are camping. Can't see squat...it's DARK. REALLY dark. And the stars are out...and its pretty. REALLY pretty.

Thank goodness we brought the heater...mountain nights get downright COLD.

COLD.

REALLY COLD.

I had sorta kinda remembered, thus the space heater we had packed at the last minute. Thank goodness for that little booger. Or we would have been packing up at 3am and moving to a hotel, somewhere. It was bloody blinking freaking cold in that camper with nothing between you and the night but tent vinyl...or whatever it is. So we turned the heater on, switched on the thermostat, put on our socks and cuddled down. Nice and SNUG. REALLY nice.

But the morning sunrise over the Blue Ridge was exactly what I remember from back home. The fog was laying in the valley, the gentle curve of the Blue Ridge is sparkling green in the distance, with just little touches of yellow and orange on her face. There are fields, and I can hear cattle bellowing somewhere close by(they were not gently mooing...honestly never heard a cow MOO...I've only heard them bellow loudly). The morning is just sweet smelling and crisp. I had to stand and sigh...then run to the bathhouse quickly...the Husband has to go to work! Gotta scoot!

This is when I figured out where I was in the grand scheme of things...I discovered that our campsite can pretty much described as a 'cliffsite'. It was camper...step...a little bit of our outdoor rug folded in halfsies.. deck... SLOPE. And at the bottom of the slope, way down there at the bottom ...the Big Playground. I perched on the edge in my flip flops and just looked DOWN. WOW.

The Toddler enjoyed his stay. We ventured to the local Farmer's Market while The Husband was working, tried some nasty cookies from a local bakery (I won't list her here because she was super nice, but ewww OMG). My son stole the 'tip bucket' from the band playing at the Farmer's Market and created quite a giggle amongst the crowd, and the lead singer gave me the chills. He was the identical twin to my Uncle Bill. My Uncle Bill passed away about five years ago, and we all miss him so very much. It was eerie. Really eerie. But they sounded great. "Loose Gravel" was their name...I'm sure they have a website.

We journeyed over to the Husbands Armory, and discovered a Fun Dog Show. Well, to me it was fun. Clearly, these were people that were very serious about animal rescue and adopting an animal. Nothing against it...but they were REALLY serious about it. Our Boxer, Oscar is a rescue himself. So we are watching the dogs, and The Toddler is meeting all kinds of new breeds. It's almost a gauntlet. Yappy dog on too long of a leash...steer Toddler. Large dog on not enough leash or handler...steer Toddler. On and on. Then the Toddler suddenly misses Oscar. And starts shouting he wants to go get Oscar...who is by the way, three hours away and a perfectly wonderful Boarding Kennel. Which I explain. Then he starts telling people 'my dog is lost' in the saddest little voice ever. Even more sad than the 'we are lost' had piped up with the night before. I had to explain to more than one overly concerned REALLY serious dog owner, that our dog was not lost, but at a Boarding Kennel. Then I got some REALLY dirty looks. Glad The Husband called...lunch time! We scooted out of there...REALLY fast.

We rounded out our weekend with a cookout with some of my husbands coworkers, and a good time was had by the Toddler on the Big Playground...at the bottom of the really steep slope. I mean REALLY steep slope, that we had to pull his wagon back up, with his tail in it.

And on Sunday morning, as we are driving away, The Toddler proclaimed, 'That's where Nana Pawpaw West Virginia live!' as he is pointing towards the Blue Ridge in the distance. 'Not quite baby! We're still in Virginia'.

So, as Toddler's do...he argues...and makes a good point 'Nana Pawpaw West Virginia live in the mountains. Those are mountains. Nana Pawpaw live there'

Point taken baby. REALLY.

Then he asked 'Do the mountains have a beach?' while peeking around his sippy cup of juice with his eyebrows raised. All hopeful.

REALLY.

No comments:

Popular Posts