About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Over the River and Through the Woods...

To Nana and Papaw's we go!

After about six gazillion potty breaks...and thank you Virginia for a lovely rest stop on I81 near Wytheville VA.  I turned him loose in that field for twenty minutes and it was exactly what he needed!  Wonder how many kiddos have climbed those rocks?

We rolled across the State Line with the horn honking and 'Whoooo hooooing!' as we screamed down East River Mountain on I77N.   Well, I was 'Whoooo hoooing!'  Kiddo was ignoring me and watching out the window.    He'd had about enough of me.

I didn't care.  I love driving down that mountain. 

Mucho excitement when we finally got to my Parents.  I had gotten run off the road by a yoohoo trying to pass on a double line on windy river road...awesome.   Nothing says Welcome Home like diving for the ditch.

Friday night was the County Fair...much fun was had in the Bounce Houses and blundering the venders...but the main draw was the Rodeo for my Kiddo...

I had been promising the Rodeo for weeks, and the weather held nicely!  Next time we will take our own chairs.  I think we said that last time...but bleachers are a pain in the tookus to my Dad...literally.  And it was PACKED.  For a little community, this was something different to do on Friday night.  And it was FUN.

Funnel cake and a spilled $5 sweet tea later, Kiddo and I were covered in powdered sugar with sticky fingers and sticky shoes from the tea. 

Maybe next year, Kiddo will get to participate in the games.  He had to run out of the arena for an emergency potty break.

Ever took a nearly four year old to a porta potty in the dark?  Awesome.  You should try it some time.


Saturday found us at the Fishing Hole.  Fishing is a BIG DEAL to my Dad.  Come hail, rain, lightning, thunder...ice...whatever...he's out there on the creek bank.  He does catfish tournaments...(if you are not familiar...a bunch of people draw numbers for a spot around a catfish pond, and you sit all evening and into the night to see who can catch the biggest catfish.  You aggravate each other...you find the stinkiest concoction of bait that you can possibly find...and it's fun).  I've spent a lot of nights asleep in a folding chair on the bank...I can't stay up all night.  My attention wears off about an hour in. 

He Bass fishes.

He boat fishes.

Whatever it takes to catch fish.

It was time for my child to go fishing with Pawpaw. 

And his attention wore off about five minutes in. 

He couldn't see the fish.

He didn't want any one casting his line. 

By the way, his pole was a REAL pole.  My Dad refuses to buy him a kiddie pole.  It was a REAL pole.  So he had about six feet of swinging fishing pole that he was using as a jousting stick.

I had to take it away .

Which resulted in an Epic Pout.


And we fished....and fished...and fished.

Kiddo ate goldfish...and whined...and whined...and got in the weeds. 

I broke out with poison ivy this morning from THAT excursion.

I was ready to pack it all up...when Dad let him reel the first one in....



NOW Kiddo was interested!

Five fish later we had to run for the car due to a thunderstorm...but we caught fish!

Saturday night was dinner out a local new BBQ restaurant.  Quite tasty.  If you ever in Pipestem, WV...look up Brandon's. 

And then the traditional journey to Pipestem State Park.

West Virginia knows how to do State Parks.

Virginia does not.

My Dad helped build Pipestem...and he will check out his concrete work nearly every time.   It's still there of course.  My Dad does good work!

Of course we had to take in the Overlook...can't leave without that...





I miss the Mountains...there's no where else like it.

And my accent is THICK this week.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So fun! That catfishing tournament sounds right up my mom's alley. She is the fisherperson of the family. Come hell or high water, she's a'fishin'!

Great pics. Glad you had a good time. Never been to West VA (or VA) but it looks awesome!

Popular Posts