About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Where's My Village?

I’m not a huge fan of Hillary Clinton…but she made a point a number of years ago when she wrote her book “It takes a Village”

I’d like to ask…Where is my damned village?

The Husband is getting ready to leave for Over There.

I’m going to be alone with The Toddler (almost a Preschooler…he’s kind of a Toddler Tween now) and I am schlepping him on a stupid long commute every morning, and schlepping him on a stupid long commute every evening.

And slinging crap food on the table…with the TV turned on…while I run around like a mad woman feeding Dog and Cat…and doing laundry…and keeping a slight semblance of order.

Then we go to bed...well Toddler Tween does...I don't.  

Hell…I had to hire a housekeeper to keep up with my own freaking life.

We’re all tired.

And I don’t think it was meant to be like this.

When our Warriors go off to battle…the Women and Children and Old would be left behind to tend to the Village, take care of things…TOGETHER.

I’m alone in my house, with the Toddler Tween…the Dog…the Cat…

I don’t have any one to field the kid so that I can cook…

I don’t have any one to field the kid so that I can forage…alone…in silence…

I don’t have any one to share in raising my child.

Except The Husband…whom by the way…is LEAVING.

And I get that is how the modern family is supposed to work…but I think we jumped off the Village Train a little fast.

I would have made a heck of a mid wife…doctor…gardener chick…

I want to go home right now and poke something in the dirt and watch it grow.

I’ve brought bags of lettuce and arugula and parsley and dill and mustard greens in to the co workers this week.

See?

This is what I am SUPPOSED to do.

Not what I AM doing.

My primordial instincts are telling me so.

I am NOT supposed to be sitting behind a desk all day.   

ALL DAMN DAY.

I’m exhausted…I’m stressed…my freaking neck hurts.

Best Friend is along with me…and I quote “As long as I am going to continue to retain water for a trek across the desert, and grow hair all over my body to keep warm…then give me the Village and shove this shit”

Cause I am tired.

We are all tired…

And I feel like something is missing.

I need to find my Happy.

But Happy doesn’t pay the mortgage, or electric bill.

I need to find it though.

Yeah…I get the wonders of Modern Medicine.  And I am glad to have given birth during an era of which most women survive childbirth. 

And the whole typhoid thing scares the beejeebers out of me.

And the infant mortality rate…

We are modern people now.

We can have a Village with modern amenities right?

I’m sure I can find a pile of over stressed working women and men willing to trade in their commute and suits and heels for some Village Life.

My requirements…running water, flush toilets, electricity…close to good shopping and fine dining (didn’t say we were going all primitive here) and some sanity.

That’s all.

Who’s with me?

Cause I think we missed something here…about two generations ago.

Don't get me wrong though...I will keep shaving my legs...Village or no.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first read the title I thought, "where's your village because you're the idiot?" as in village idiot...

oops.

My family is close but someimes I still feel this way. More because I do not WANT to hear what they have to say...because I won't agree and then don't want to argue.

I'm sorry he's leaving :( wish you lived closer!

And I still shave my legs... But I boycott in the winter!

Popular Posts