About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Resigning myself...and other adventures

I'm in my mid-thirties.

I had the wild aspirations when I was 18 to be a Broadcast Journalist.

I envisioned my days in a newsroom...surrounded my busy people and wonderful stories.

Editing, photography, story writing...and best of all...on-air work!

Two years into college, I realized that I was CLEARLY not cut out for the dedication and cut throatedness of Broadcast Journalism.  I really prefered the technical work.

For the remaining two years, I worked theatre, public relations, advertising and some radio.

Did my Internship in Tourism and LOVED every minute.

But alas, Tourism jobs were few and far between...so I ended up in television.  In a department called Traffic.

Basically, we manage the daily playlist...all the commercials, programs and on air look.

It's a blast...and just up my alley.

I still get to do voice overs for commercials and promos...and it is a great job.

I have worked for two broadcast groups...and all networks except CBS at this point.

I really do love it.

But I turned in my resignation yesterday to my boss.

And we cried.

My last day is at the end of August, so she can start working on my replacement.

Being with the company for ten years means I have a lot of stuff on my desk that someone needs to learn...poor thing.

After fifteen years of working in Traffic...it is time to suck it up buttercup and find a new career.

One that does not require a one hour commute each way....with a kid in the back seat.

I leave a little after 7a and get home right before 7p if the traffic cooperates.

The time I am away from home is going to be really bad when Toddler Tween is a Kingergarten Kid.  I'm not going to be able to be involved with ANYTHING.  I'm going to be At Work...and Hour Away.

My neck is killing me from the order input and log working that I do for eight hours a day.

I'm just done.

A few months ago...when The Husband got The Call...we talked about me going back to school while he is gone.

I chickened out.

We bought a new station...we converted it...I was drowning in the pile of paperwork.

My neck Really Hurt.

Then we talked some more, and I met with the admissions counselor at a local technical career center.

The Husband and I decided that it was time.

So I signed the paperwork on Tuesday after the plumber left, got the financial aid situation taken care of (right now any way until the GI Bill transfer comes through), and I'm all set.

To be a Medical Assistant.

In my fancy Hunter Green scrubs.

Not quite a Nurse.

Not quite a Lab Technician.

But it is a sought after career where I live, and there are literally a GAZILLION medical facilities here.

Within minutes of my home.

It's going to take me ten months to complete.

Who wouldn't want a mid thirties woman, stable home, lots of office experience, managerial experience, and maturity?

I'm hoping lots of people want me.

And want to pay me well.

Cause I am having a heart attack over it.

Now to find a new Daycare.  That's turning into an adventure! 

One lesson learned:  What a rural community deems as 'top notch' didn't even qualify in my book as a 'remote possibility'. 

I'm sorry...when did separating a room with brightly colored shower curtains become acceptable in a daycare situation?

Cause I wasn't a fan...at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck on the childcare hunt. that SUCKS. And good luck with the new career training!

Popular Posts