About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Weekend Project

Growing up with non-artisitic parents, and iron water...I never participated in tie dyeing projects at home.

Growing up in a rural school system...I never participated in tie dyeing projects at school.

Once I got to high school...apparently I had missed the bus on tie dyeing.

Never did it.

My boss did a batch of tie dye last weekend with her kids.  And I thought ...'This will be awesome!'

How hard can this be!

And envisioned me and Toddler Tween having fun with colors.

So I journeyed to Michaels...and bought the Ultimate Kit. 

And a pile of shirts.

And spent $50...because I got caught up in the moment.

Last night...it was time to dye!

So Toddler Tween wasn't too enthusiastic. 

The gloves didn't fit him...so he didn't want to wear them.

He wanted to pour dye everywhere.

My Ultimate Kit didn't come with a single freaking set of instructions AT all... no where.  Even though there was supposed to be a booklet in it.  The packaging person missed that one, and of course I grabbed it...awesome.

So I did a quick tutorial online of how to do this. 

Yeah...this is easy.

I've got this.

Spread out the trash bags...got the gloves...shook up the dye bottles...tied up three XS shirts, a L and a 2XL because I don't know how much they are going to shrink.

And we started squirting dye on the shirts...

And wiping up the floor...

And wiping up each other....

Toddler Tween got bored.

I got mad and hot...and my neck started hurting.

Trying to keep little fingers out of the mess took it's toll.

And I stopped dyeing after the first three XS shirts.

Done.

This is stupid.

I followed the directions...put them in bags over night.  I wasn't wasting them, even though I wanted to trash them at that point.

Expecting a total hot mess this morning when I unwrapped them.

Nope...

They turned out pretty awesome!

This one was the first.  Toddler Tween wanted ALL of the colors.

The red was the last one.  I got fed up and rolled it in the dishpan while squirting the dye on it.

I think I got the rhythm on this one...I like it.


So this morning, while Toddler Tween was still sleeping.. I  rinsed, unfurled, rinsed some more and hung them out on the back deck to dry.  Per the directions on the internet.  Because my $20 Ultimate Kit wasn't helpful at all.

Then decided, take the opportunity to do mine and The Husbands.

So I knotted some more knots.

Prepped the sink and dyed and dyed and dyed.

Bagged and rinsed the sink.

Then took my glove off.

Guess what color my shirt is...



I'm going with the 'car wreck' look.

And I don't own ANY bleach..at all.

Awesome.

Edited to Add:  The Husbands

Mine...thus the purple hand...that is normal after we went to the pool

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

very cool! I did that once in college and kept the shirt til it fell to pieces, since I was so proud of myself.

I'm sure they'll be LO's favorite shirts!

Anonymous said...

They are great. I love yours. We did it in Chemistry in highschool...

Popular Posts