About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hugging Strangers

My parents drove from West Virginia on Friday to help me attempt to get the house back in order after that Bitch Irene.

Thank goodness they did.

The house was a DISASTER area...electrical cords strung hither an yon. 

The Fridge and Freezer needed completely emptied and washed out.

I had laundry up to my ears.

Mom knocked out a lot of the work before I got home from work on Friday.

She brought some groceries with her and we had a dinner...at our house...INSIDE!  No sitting on the back deck.

Saturday morning, I left a sleeping Kiddo and dashed out for an oil change and then to hit the Commissary to try to reclaim my lost groceries.

As I entered the door, I encountered a couple that I am going to lovingly nickname 'The Scooters' for this story.

She was disabled and had her Grocery Scooter.  He was sporting a Vietnam Veteran cap and a black Harley Davidson T shirt. 

We struck up a conversation in the sodas aisle as we were sharing our Bitch Irene stories.

He then said something that made me blink.

"Do you have USAA?"

Yes...yes I do.

"Did you file yet?"

No...there isn't enough to file with the deductible.

"Honey, they don't have a deductible for food loss now...call them"

So I shuffled my buggy over to the Clearance Corner and called USAA.

Ten minutes later, I tearfully hung up.

They deposited $750 in my account to help me get my groceries back.

WHAT?! 

OH YES THEY DID!

Then I had to find The Scooters...and I did...and I gave them both the biggest hugs ever by a stranger in the middle of a Commissary.

Cause I could have cried...

Whoot to USAA and Whoot to the Scooters!

I did my preliminary shopping and it was still $200 (ketchup, mayo, mustard, A1 and all of that really add up).  I haven't replaced much of what I lost...but I have some assistance now.

Something good out of this week...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, that is just...awesome!

Anonymous said...

HOOTY HOO!

Popular Posts