About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Distractions...

I had my journey to Maine.

It was nice...and gorgeous...and it was so much fun seeing my BFF.

Now I have the most raging case of bronchitis that I have had in many many years.  Illness usually does not kick me in the teeth...but this one has.

So every day this week..after class...I head home...and die on the couch for a few hours before I go pick up Kiddo from preschool.

Today, I am feeling semi close to normal.  I got home...vacummed the downstairs, put a pot of spaghetti sauce on...then sat down on the couch to cough for a while.

I got sucked into watching part of The Appalachians series on PBS.

By the end of the hour, I just wanted to pack my suitcase and go home to West Virginia.

I'm convinced..there just isn't anywhere else on Earth that calls to someone from that region quite like those Mountains call us home.

Most Hillbillies will tell you how there is literally no place like home.  Each holler feels familiar and welcoming.  I know the rivers and the streams.  The foliage...the fog in the bottoms...the smell after rain.  How the hillsides look with snow.  How to glide the curves in the roads... The music speaks to your blood.  The rhythm of the accent is...it just is.

I have been nowhere that makes me feel like taking my shoes off, rooting my toes in the soil...breathing in deeply and just letting Her envelope me.

But alas, there are very few opportunities there. 

The jobs are gone, the education system is struggling.  The economy was bad to begin with, but it isn't any better...especially now.

We left ten years ago...and just cannot justify returning. 

But that doesn't mean there isn't a longing desire to go home...and visits are never long enough.

To breathe it all in...and feel the thrum of the soil.  I can't explain it with words...but its so familiar and so HOME.

And I want to go HOME.

No comments:

Popular Posts