About Me

My photo
Married to GI Joe, and the Mother to GI Joe Jr (whom is currently addicted to the Wonderful World of Superheroes), I'm a WV Hillbilly plunked down in a subdivision. I have a backyard garden, crazy neighbors, and a goofy dog that we love on Tuesdays. We love to travel and explore new things, so feel free to browse our life. Sometimes it is exciting, most of the time it is just life. But we are having a good time at it.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Love It Book Review


I said a few blogs back, that the folks around here take their Virginia History VERY seriously.

And Kiddo and I went to the Henricus Publick Days and enjoyed it immensely.  You know the place where he sparred with a Colonial, and watched the Chickahominy Indians dance?

I passed a booth there that I really wanted to stop and look at, but with a four year old in tow that wasn't willing to look at anything for more than two seconds that was not pirate related, I had to do a quick memory scan and hope I could remember the name of the book.  I smiled and waved at the author, but couldn't stop to chat.

I did.  Thankfully.  I had to Google a few times to get the spelling right of the author, but I found it!

I checked it out from the local library.

I read it until 3am on Saturday night.  Fell asleep with it in my hands.  Woke up on Sunday morning, stayed on the couch and in my PJ's until noon while I finished it.   

Kiddo was parked in front of Thomas Marathons to keep him quiet.  He was fed, and pottied a few times. Other than that, there wasn't much interaction. 

Why?

I LOVED this book.  To the point that I was really super sad when it ended.  Because I wanted more.

I laughed.

I cried.

I cried hysterical tears during the scene when the Deliverance and the Patience rolled into Jamestown.

I marvelled at the strength of these people.

I wanted to wring the neck of some lazy bastards.

I wanted to say 'It will be OK...it turns out OK' to these people...but they can't hear me...

And I got more of a history lesson that I had ever ever hoped for.

Can you imagine departing on a small ship, bound for a New World, while leaving one child behind in England and taking one with you?

To cross the Atlantic...in a Hurricane...arriving to find inadequate food or housing...and knowing that it was 'sink or swim'?

If you want to read a really awesome amazing piece of historical fiction, this is your book. 

I have not felt this passionately about a novel in a LONG time...but I even rattled on in detail to The Husband when he called right after I finished and I was so full of 'good book afterglow' that I was about ready to burst!

This is her website....enjoy!

No comments:

Popular Posts